Families Change Teen Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


There are lots of people around you who can help you cope with your parents’ splitting up. Sometimes, just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if your friend’s parents have also split up.

You can also talk to an adult you trust, like

  • a relative (an aunt or uncle, or your grandmother or grandfather),
  • your teacher,
  • your school counsellor or
  • your family doctor.

These people can help in the following ways:

  • just listening
  • helping you put things in perspective
  • suggesting things you can do to make things better
  • connecting you with other people who can help

Q & R

I really feel like I need some help in dealing with this. Who should I ask?

There are lots of people around you who can help. Tell your parents, teacher, school counsellor, family doctor or another adult you trust. If they can't help you themselves, they should be able to help you find someone who can.

If you aren't getting the help you think you need, keep asking until you get it.