Families Change Parent Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here

Where to Get More Help

This section describes the services, websites, and publications that can help you with child support.


Centres de justice de proximité (local legal centres)

If you have a specific question on family law or other legal questions, you can contact the Centre de justice de proximité (local legal centre). These centres are located in the following regions: Greater Montreal, Quebec City, Lower St. Lawrence, Outaouais, Gaspé Peninsula-Magdalen Islands and Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean.

Commission des services juridiques (legal services commission)

People can get free or low-cost legal services if they qualify for legal aid. The services are given by lawyers and sometimes notaries. To find out if you qualify for legal aid and ask for legal aid services, visit the website of the Commission des services juridiques (legal services commission).


The Chambres des notaires du Québec (Quebec’s professional association of notaries) has a free legal information service. You can speak to a notary by phone by dialing 1-800-NOTAIRE. There is also an online service (in French only) called 1-800-NOTAIRE 2.0 where you can get answers to frequently-asked questions. If you don’t find the information you’re looking for, you can either submit your question online or call the 1-800-NOTAIRE legal information line.


The Service administratif de rajustement des pensions alimentaires pour enfants or SARPA (child support adjustment service), helps parents change support payments for children under 18 without having to go to court. SARPA helps them change a court decision that ordered or approved child support payments. The Commission des services juridiques (legal services commission or legal aid) is the body that provides this service.

Homologation Assistance Service (HAS)

The Homologation Assistance Service (HAS) helps parents who agree on changes to a court decision that ordered or approved child support payments, child living arrangements (custody) or visiting rights. For a reasonable fee, a lawyer will prepare the necessary documents and send them to the special court clerk for approval. If you have any questions on this service, visit the website of the Commission des services juridiques (legal services commission) and click on the tab “Homologation.” You can also call the legal aid office in your area.

Finding a lawyer or notary

Visit Éducaloi’s Web page Get More Help to find legal resources and how to find a legal professional.


FamiliesChange.ca: This website contains information to help all members of the family cope with separation and divorce. There are resources for children, teens, and parents. There is also on online course called Online Parenting After Separation, which helps parents understand the importance of putting the needs of their children first.

Éducaloi: Éducaloi is a Quebec non-profit organization and registered charity that was founded in 2000. It is a leader in the movement to improve access to justice in Quebec. Its mission is to inform Quebecers about the law by providing legal information in everyday language. Its activities focus on three areas: legal information, legal education and promoting the use of plain language when it comes to law. An entire section of its website is devoted to legal information on families and couples. Éducaloi’s website also lists resources available for parents or for youth.

Services Québec – Citoyens: This is Quebec government website gives parents information on how to apply for or modify child support payments.

Federal Child Support Guidelines: Step-By-Step: This guide includes worksheets to help parents calculate child support according to the federal guidelines.

Votre boussole juridique: Created by an organization called Pro Bono Québec, Votre boussole juridique is a search tool to help you find free and low-cost legal services across Quebec. Using an interactive map, you can find community, government and other resources by region and area of law. Note that the website is in French only.